Wow!

June 6, 2010

Ok, so it has been almost eleven months since I last updated. I (of course) never intended to go this long without updating, but life happens. I am ashamed to say that Savannah is sitting somewhat ignominiously in a drawer, because she can no longer fit inside her original box. I am even more ashamed to say that I have done almost no work on the project since I last posted. She remains in the state she was in July of last year.

Although I am currently engaged in another project (which I will share here upon completion) I hope to return to Savannah shortly. I will begin gathering resources once again in preparation for the restarting of the build. Stay tuned for more!

Advertisements

Daily Update-4/24/09-recap

April 25, 2009

Well, there haven’t been any updates on Savannah because there isn’t too much to look at. So far, I’ve mostly been doing what needs to be done in order to move on with further construction. I have filled the portholes, thinned down the bulwark on the bow, puttied sanded and puttied some more all over the place, in order to fill all the gaps in the hull and the deck seams. I don’t have photos worth posting, but stuff has been happening and I hope to get an update with pics posted over the weekend. It’s been pretty tedious so far, but I gotta do this stuff before more exciting things can happen.


4/16/09-Updates to resume.

April 16, 2009

Got the Apoxie Sculpt today and have had success on the experiments I have conducted so updates will continue full steam ahead tomorrow!


4/10/09-No update

April 11, 2009

No update, waiting for my order of Aves Apoxie Sculpt to arrive before continuing with deck modifications.


Daily Update-4/9/09

April 10, 2009

Today I began to add the decks. The kit decks, when compared with the plans I have, are shown to be utter fiction. All the cargo hatches are misplaced, a great deal of detail appears to be simply made up, and all the rest of it is just crude. So I figured it would be much easier to simply replace the decks outright instead of attempting to correct the kit parts. I cut off the mounting tabs and traced the decks onto scrap .040 Styrene sheets. I cut them out using a new X-acto knife blade, sanded the edges smooth and glued them to the hull. They fit fairly well, but there will be some filling and reshaping to do, particularly at the bow,  where the thick bulwark causes shape issues. More on this later.


Daily Update-4/8/09

April 9, 2009

I have decided to try and make this blog as easy to understand as possible, so that non-model builders can understand it. Already I see I am doing a miserable job of explaining it all. If you have any questions, please ask, I will be more than happy to answer. I will also try to explain all the various modeling jargon and techniques as I go along. So far, it is all quite technical, as I don’t have the energy to explain what he promenade is, or why it needs to be replaced, or what removing molded on railings involve. It is my hope that the photos will speak for themselves (with a little help of course) and I will try to keep a better record of everything that is done. I am not used to this, so it will take some patience and getting used to, but I am determined to get this done and done right. With that in mind, I continue on…

Not much work done today, mostly cleaning up the cuts made to the hull. I removed the promenade area as well as all the molded on bulwarks, as they were way too thick and just looked wrong to my eyes. These will be replaced with Evergreen sheet styrene. I am still not sure what to do about the molded on bulwark around the bow, which is way too thick and oversimplified. I may try to thin it out after installing the new deck.


4/7/09-No update

April 8, 2009

No update for today, I spent the day out of the house (which is a good thing!) so no work was done on Savannah. I do have pics uploaded and ready for posting tomorrow, however.